Rank Well In Search Engines Through Effective SEO Tips
Are you any of the following?
- Planning to create a website
- In the process of developing and designing one
- Already have a site for less than a year
Well, it actually does not matter if you are the first, second, or third person. Whether you are just starting to set up a domain or applying final changes, you need the right ideas to make it rank in search engines. Why, you may ask.
Hmm, why should you not?
Given the fact that you are creating a website clearly indicates that you wish to build online presence. Now, you have to know that the chances of your target audience finding you are slim if you do not practice the right strategies.
With the huge number of Web solutions and tricks available these days, which ones are most effective?
Use search engine optimization (SEO) to help you obtain a high ranking in queries. Of course, do not just apply any strategy. Instead, practice advanced tactics to guarantee success.
Recent SEO Methods
1. Analyze your website’s structure
What does this have to do with your position in search engine result pages (SERPs)? If you are able to understand every Web design aspect, from making the wireframe (a visualization tool) to generating content, you can support your optimisation efforts.
Put simply, you need to pay attention to fundamental pages or elements that aid with algorithm indexing. For instance, you have to ensure quick loading time, which is important for search engines and users.
2. Combine navigation and SEO
As you are creating internal links, do not forget to leverage their advantages by squeezing in relevant keywords. For example, you can write an anchor text that goes like this – Read about diet tips – if you wish to direct your target readers to an article on dieting. This strategy is so much better than just placing “Click here” or “Read more”.
3. Follow the general rule on internal linking
Which is what? Accordingly, the maximum number of “clicks” for a specific webpage to or from the homepage is four. While site navigation can help with indexing, too much clicking on the mouse before getting to the right page can be annoying or tiring for some individuals.
Then again, you can remedy this integrating your site with breadcrumb trail, which generally looks like this – Homepage → category →sub-category (or see image). It is serves as a guide for the users, providing them a tread of the pages they have visited.
Additionally, you have to ensure that each webpage has at least 2-3 internal links directing the visitors to it.
4. Produce plenty of quality content
Why should you do so? Let us break down its importance.
- First, you will have a higher chance of ranking for targeted keywords.
- As a result, it will be easy for the users to find your site whenever they perform queries related to your niche or industry.
- When you have unique, relevant, and interesting information to share, the readers (or consumers, if you are specializing in ecommerce) will stay longer on your website.
- What is more, they may just suggest your pages to their friends or family members, increasing your site’s popularity and credibility and making you an authority in your field.
Does it sound promising? Of course it does! Therefore, take time to make important content such as the following:
- White papers (offer an authoritative guide or statement on a certain issue)
- Case study reports
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Leadership ideas (especially if you have a business site)
- Detailed product pages (ideal for an ecommerce website)
- Blog articles
5. Monitor your site’s development process
Once a few pages are live, have them indexed. Then, keep track of their performance in search results. And, as you are doing so, take note of the following tasks too:
- Ensure that their meta titles and descriptions are carrying over
- See to it that you have properly optimised the content
- Assess their URLs for errors
6. Put a redirection in place
Known as “301 Redirect” to the techies, it is a Web server operation, which involves redirecting an old link to a more recent one. Once the function takes place, it indicates that you have moved the resource permanently.
It is highly applicable to some content that you wish to update, change, or scrap because of outdated or inapplicable information.
7. Get your website and its content indexed
The fifth tip says that you need to have live webpages indexed. Well, you need to do this for the entire domain too by carrying out the following steps:
- Make an Extensible Markup Language (XML) sitemap and robots.txt file.
- Send these to several search engine webmaster tools, but most specifically to Google since it has a share of approximately 64.7% of all online visits as of May 19, 2012.
By doing these, you can obtain a good spot in SERPs for the key phrases you are using.
There you go. With these advance strategies, the likely of finding your website in the first search result page is high. So, do not forget to practise any of these. Finally, you must also remember to keep track of your site and all of its elements because you never know when there might be a URL error as well as other important updates.
Author bio: Emma Tomlinson is the Head of Retail at Smart Traffic, a fast-growing private technology company offering white label SEO services and solutions to several clients from across the globe.